In 2010, Contemporary Art Tasmania established four non-residential studio spaces above its offices in Tasma St, North Hobart. These studios are available by application to visual arts practitioners committed to a career in contemporary art. The studios are awarded annually for a fixed period of 12 months with recipients being selected by an expert panel of peers. To date, 28 artists and arts practitioners have accepted these studio residencies.
The Contemporary Art Tasmania studios were created to address the pressing need for affordable, central studio space. Traditionally, local artists have occupied low-cost ex-commercial buildings in the inner city suburbs of Hobart. Rises in real estate market values has meant affordable studio leasing has been diminished, forcing artists to either pay very high rents or move to outer suburbs away from the central arts community. By providing studios at minimal cost, Contemporary Art Tasmania is addressing this need and supporting local arts practice.
Four studio placements are awarded each year to visual artists, curators and arts writers.
Arts professionals wishing to apply for a studio placement must read the attached information prior to applying.
The 2018 studio artists are: Judith Abell, Priscilla Beck, Lychandra Gieseman and Hilary Green
Applications for the 2019 Contemporary Art Tasmania Studios close on October 1 2018
Previous Contemporary Art Tasmania Studio Recipients:
- 2017 - Claire Pendrigh, Vivienne Cutbush, Alex Davern and Joel Crosswell.
- 2016 - Rahni Allan, Selena de Carvalho, Ben Taylor, Tricky Walsh
- 2015 - Joey Gracia, Leigh Hobba, Eloise Kirk, Amber Koroluk-Stephenson
- 2014 - Karin Chan, Darren Cook, Nadège Philippe-Janon, Dylan Sheridan
- 2013 - Cath Robinson, Peter Waller, Anthony Johnson, Jo Chew.
- 2012 - Anna Cocks, Lucy Hawthorne, Julie Gough, Amanda Shone
- 2011 - Laura Hindmarsh, Jacob Leary, Benjamin Ryan, Mike Singe
- 2010 - Denise Ava Robinson, Tom O'Hern, Bec Stevens, Nicola Smith
- 2009 - Alicia King, Mish Meijers, James Newitt, Jonathan Partridge